If there’s one thing a sorority woman knows (besides the names of all her founding sisters/the words to every rush song/) it’s a theme party. I don’t know if it’s in the official rules of Greek Life but sororities/fraternities and theme parties go together like cheating spouses and Hollywood. Only there’s way less drama. And magazine covers. And Barbara Walters interviews.
That being said, this week we asked our panel of sorority women to weigh in on the infamous theme party and share the best and worst they’ve ever been to.
Here goes the list (the BEST):
1. Food Mascots. Everyone thought it was a strange idea at first, but I saw some of the greatest costume ideas that night. Some of the best costumes were the Chic-fil-a Cow, and the Orbit Gum Girl.
2. “Under $10.” Everyone had to go to the local thrift store and pick up an entire outfit that cost, you guessed it, under $10. It was hilarious. People were wearing the most atrocious stuff and it definitely made for great pictures (and endless hours looking through them on Facebook the next day).
3. Office Hoes & CEO’s, mostly because it gives me an excuse to dress up. Also, girls at these parties aren’t as slutty as they usually are (except for the people who think Britney’s Hit Me Baby Catholic school girl outfit constitutes as office attire…), and that’s really refreshing. Classy + Hot.
4. Around the World” or “Holidays” with matching refreshments and decorations.
5. Rumble in the Jungle. The decorations were so easy to make, and everyone went all out with animal prints and animal costumes and such.
and now the WORST:
1. Guys in Ties, Girls in Pearls. Everyone always looks great, but we don’t get the chance to brainstorm any fun, creative costumes.
2. Pimps and Hos. Yeah, real original. Snooooore. Come on, people! GET CREATIVE.
3. The worst would have to be graffiti parties. If you’ve seen one profanity and/or body part chicken-scratched in highlighter, you’ve seen ‘em all, and I’m not a fan of having to go out and buy a brand new white shirt that I’m going to throw away the next day. Pass!
4. Beach theme. No one wants to dress in a shorts and flip flops when it’s, like, 30 degrees out.
5. A highlighter party. I don’t know a single person whose most flattering outfit consists of a head to toe white jump suit covered with bright profanity. Correct me if I’m wrong… But the BEST themed party? One word: Jerseys! Purdue Greeks, where you at!?