RSS Feed Twitter

I am from the rural dirt roads of Botetourt County, Virginia. I choose Longwood because of its size and friendly atmosphere. I am heavily involved in my school and community both here in Farmville and back home in Eagle Rock, Virginia.

I serve as News Editor for The Rotunda, the student newspaper here on campus, and have been writing for the paper since March 2009. I am also a Sergeant-At-Arms for the Longwood University Judicial Board. I have spent this summer discovering the world of online freelance journalism and have quite enjoyed myself.

« »

April 27, 2011 11:11PM

Tornadoes in Farmville?


I love storms but today was different. Today, a number of tornadoes went through the state. At least one (confirmed) tornado touched down in Farmville, just near campus. The storm touched down around 7 p.m. and could be seen best from Sunchase Apartments. I visited one of the areas hardest hit, on River Dr., where damage was extensive. Trees were down, cars were smashed and tin was laying everywhere. Luckily nobody was injured.

The Prince Edward Co. area was hit twice by tornado warnings–once at 6:30, again at 7:50, and again at 9:30 p.m.. Luckily, only the first storm spawned a tornado. However, the fear was that the 9:30 alert would result in a tornado since it was a very severe storm.

The storms sort of came almost out of nowhere. I was actually asleep when I heard the crack of thunder. I looked out the window and things looked bad. Just about 20 minutes later, after watching a lot of weather on the tube, the RA’s called me and Nicole down to the first floor to seek shelter. We did and I took my scanner to listen to the latest reports. I became a celebrity because everyone seemed impressed by my preparedness techniques.

After the all clear was given, we went over to River Rd. to see the damage so Nicole could cover that story for the Southside Messenger. We were there for around 20 minutes before the fire chief said everybody is leaving because there’s more storms on the way. We left and made it back to campus; seeking shlter in The Rotunda office this time. We watched TV some more.

Later, I went back to my room only to see another warning was coming. Went to the first floor again and then got the all clear. After that, the CHI burning was still happening so we went on to see that.

What a day. Now I’m off to bed before I’m off to Richmond in the morning. I’ll update that ¬†tomorrow.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *